Saturday, February 16, 2013

Girl Scout Cookie

Who doesn't love Girl Scout cookies?! Like I've told you in the past I'm a girl scout leader. There are so many kinds of cookies for sale now days but have you ever wondered about when they first started? Lots have changed over the years...flavors, prices, designs, on and on. So while looking at other things I ran across this recipe, it's the original GS cookie. A simple butter cookie but very good. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 cups flour

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar.
Add well beaten eggs, then add milk, flavoring, and flour.
Roll thin and bake in quick oven.
Sprinkle sugar on top.

Quick oven...hmmmm well that is the directions.  So here is what I did, I used 350 degree.
When it says roll thin they mean it. I used a cookie cutter to shape these cookies so if they are not thin they will not hold the shape.
And like all butter cookie recipes it needs to stay cold till put in oven. I found the best results to take dough out of fridge in small batches, roll with rolling pin, cut, put on cold cookie sheet (I used parchment paper) then put back in fridge for a few minutes before putting in oven. It only takes a few minutes for them to cook, maybe 7-10 minutes. Take them out when the edges show sign of brown. If you leave them in till cookies is brown they will be rock hard.
 
From our kitchen to yours, Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment