Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ham Balls - Updated

Updated info in Red...
Most of you know this as sausage balls. Since my daughter doesn't eat much sausage and doesn't like sandwiches I decided to make these for her for school using ham (her favorite).

First you need bisquick, cheese, ham, and water. Instead of water use buttermilk it will make a huge difference. Add 2 tablespoons of spicy brown mustard to ingredients.


I used for this batch about 2 cups of bisquick, 1/2 lb of cheese and 1lb of black forest ham. Use a true ham, not lunch meat or deli ham. Put it in the food processor and finely chop. Adds tons of flavor. Shred the cheese and chop up the ham.


Start with the bisquick, add cheese and ham, mustard, and mix.
Add about 1/4 cup at a time of water (buttermilk instead) till you get a dough that is not sticky. If you add too much water then simply add some more bisquick.


Roll out in small balls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. The size is really up to you and who will be eating them.


Let cook for approx 20 minutes. These will not take as long and will not be as dark as regular sausage balls if you are accustomed to adding raw sausage.


Side note: You can use pretty much any meat with this recipe. I've learned over the years that even if using sausage..cook the meat first, drain the grease off of it then make the balls.  They don't have to cook as long, they are much more moist, and not greasy. You are adding water for moisture for making the dough.

Also if you don't have a young child that doesn't like spicy then I would add some spice to these. The mustard gives good flavor but not alot of spice, my child will still eat them with the mustard added.  They turned out kinda bland for my taste but I like things to have some kick. But hey... I made them for her lunch and not for me...this time.

From our kitchen to yours, Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment